Sunday, June 28, 2009

Buffalo Burgers

We decided to do the classic burger and fries with a few minor twists - namely buffalo meat instead of beef or turkey. Of course with no outdoor grill, the bulk of the cooking unfortunately had to be done on a grill pan. Also because we decided to do sweet potato fries, the apartment really heated up as they were roasting in the oven.

Anyway, I microwaved two sweet potatoes for about 4 minutes to get the cooking process started. Then I thinly sliced the potatoes and coated them in olive oil before placing on the sheet pan. I roasted them for about 25 minutes at 350 (flipping them when they are crisp on one side). Next time, I would slice the potatoes a little thicker (about 1/2 inch). Also microwaving them before didn't help as much as I thought it would. I would likely not do that step again or would do it for a bit longer. While the fries were roasting, I blanched the trimmed green beans in boiling salted water.

After the potatoes were in the oven about 15 minutes, I threw the buffalo burgers on the grill pan. I seasoned them generously with salt and pepper. I also put some olive oil on the burgers because they are so lean and can dry out. Once the burgers were done I simply dry grilled the green beans - no oil or butter.

Lettuce, tomato, onion and cheddar cheese on the buffalo burger. Salt and pepper on the fries and the green beans. While everything was good, I think the green beans were my favorite. Very simple and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment